Saturday, January 16, 2016

Taking a Step Back

I just past my third year of writing "Fruitandveggiesense".  It has been a labor of love.  I thought I would republish my original post.  So, this is where it started.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Tom Schiera.  I'm a produce guy. I love produce.  I worked in a grocery store  starting at age 10 years old.  My grandfather, Joe, had a small store that specialized in fancy fruits and vegetables in Brooklyn, New York.  Later I worked in the produce departments of supermarkets.  I came to just love fruits and vegetables. I love selecting them, displaying them, preparing them, and, of course, eating them.  Over time I have learned a lot about fruits and vegetables.  I'd like to share that knowledge with you.

I like to think of produce as a living thing.  Of course it lives as it grows but also after it is harvested.  It requires food and water.  It can move.  It changes as time goes by.  It will eventually die and disintegrate.  Produce is generally at its best when it has smooth, shiny, firm skin.

Fruits and vegetables are pleasing to the eye and the palate.  They provide vitamins and other nutrients.  Another thing about produce is that it is usually eaten around the table with family.  So, in a special way it becomes part of our life experience.  We remember eating this or that at this time or another.  The sight, smell, and taste of produce triggers memories.

Scientists are finding out that by eating the right fresh fruits and vegetables we can take care of our health, even to the point of preventing cancer.  We  can feel better, control our weight, and prevent disease. All this is from just eating your fruits and vegetables!


So, eat up!  Enjoy!  I'll show you how.

I hope you have enjoyed my work.
amzn_assoc_ad_type = "contextual"; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "fruita0f-20"; amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_placement = "OZL7KATSDNEQZ7CN"; amzn_assoc_linkid = "OZL7KATSDNEQZ7CN"; amzn_assoc_emphasize_categories = ""; amzn_assoc_fallback_products = ""; amzn_assoc_width = "300"; amzn_assoc_height = "250";

No comments:

Post a Comment