Celery seed is the dried fruit (seed) of Apium graveolens L. The light brown seeds have a characteristic aroma and warm bitter taste. Celery seed is the dried fruit (seed) of a wild variety of celery called "smallage" which grows to a height of about 18 inches. It is not derived from the vegetable of the same name.
Celery seeds and its oil have been used for thousands of years in the treatment of many ailments. It is known for its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, calming , and diuretic activity.
It has been used to treat the following problems and conditions:
- Stomach and digestive issues such as dyspeptic/poor digestion, irregular bowel movements (IBS) , loss of appetite, flatulence.
- Water retention
- Joint pains
- Muscle spasms
- Hysteria and nervousness
- Urinary tract infection (UTI).
- Low libido
- Menstrual problems.
- Use in making pickles
- Add to cole slaw, potato salad, macaroni salad, egg salad, and fruit salad dressing.
- Use in meat loaf, salmon loaf, and chicken dishes
- Beware that celery seed has a very strong taste. Treat it like a highly concentrated celery.
- Use celery seeds in vegetable dishes and sauces. Give these dishes a touch of celery flavor with the addition of just a few seeds.
- Use celery seeds in pickles, mustard, and chutney. Toss in a few seeds when preparing the pickles or chutney.
- Use celery seed in homemade bread or bread rolls. Use it both to decorate and flavor the bread.
- Add to soups and stews. The celery seeds will give an oomph of celery flavor. Try them sprinkled over thick soups such as chowder.
- Add to fish dishes. For a strong flavored fish celery seeds can make an interesting tasty addition to the marinade or poaching sauce.
- Sprinkle over sandwich fillings to give them a strong flavor.
- Make Celery seed tea by pouring one cup of boiling water over one teaspoon of freshly crushed celery seeds. Steep for 10 = 20 minutes, strain and drink.
- Celery seeds have cancer fighting ability. They contain tumor fighting polyacetylenes and phthalides
- They help manage blood pressure.
- They protect against and reverse the bad effects of acetaminophen on the liver. Daily consumption of celery seed helps balance the harmful effects on the liver.
- Celery seeds have the ability to reduce cholesterol levels and are used to cure circulatory system problems.
- Celery seeds contain flavanoids, linoleic acid, coumarins, and several volatile oils which are helpful ion curing many diseases.
- Celery sees have anti-inflammatory agents which with daily consumption help in treating pain and inflammation of the joints and help in curing inflammation related to gout, rheumatism, and arthritis.
- Celery seeds stimulate the uterus and help in easing muscle spasms especially related to the female reproductive system.
- Celery seeds are diuretic and cause excess urination which helps to flush out toxins with extra water host importantly uric acid along with the urine.
- Celery seeds are recommended for people with kidney stones, water retention , and gout. Celery seeds do not permit extra accumulation of uric acid and fluids.
- Celery seeds are antibiotic and antiseptic in nature. They are essential in curing infections of the urinary tract.
So, that's the info about Celery seed.